My family LOVES Quesadillas, but I needed a recipe that was free from dairy, and still appealed to my family. I did a lot of research, found a few recipes, tried them all, and combined my favorite parts of each until I got this. The only one my son ACTUALLY ate without complaining. I’d say that alone makes it a success, but to put icing on the proverbial cake, I love it too!
It takes a bit longer than normal quesadillas to make, but the flavor and the lack of processed foods as well as the fact that it’s vegan, makes it well worth the time!
Prep Time: About an Hour
Whole-Wheat Flour Tortillas
1/2 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
1 large Tomato, sliced thinly
2 cups Fresh Spinach
1 cup Vegetarian Refried Beans
2Tbsp Olive Oil
Pinch of Sugar
Salt & Pepper
1. Put olive oil in pan over low heat
2. Add onions to pan, sprinkle with salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Sautee over low heat for about 30 min, stirring occasionally until brown. Add oil as needed to prevent onions from
3. Add Mushrooms, stir occasionally until mushrooms are soft, darkened, and juices are mixing (about 10 minutes).
4. Remove from heat, and place in a bowl.
5. In the same pan, bring stove temperature to medium, and cook the tomatoes until they are soft and have brown edging, salt and pepper to taste, then remove from pan.
6. Wipe pan down, return to low heat, place tortilla in pan, and spread a very thin layer of the refried beans over the surface of the tortilla.
7. Place the Mushroom mixture over 1/2 of the tortilla, lay a few slices of tomato on top of that, and then top with spinach. Remember, all toppings cover only 1/2 of the tortilla, leaving the other half bare except for the beans.
8. Allow tortilla to crispen up a bit, then fold in half and cook until spinach and beans are hot, and tortilla is browned evenly.